Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Daring Cooks September 2010 Challenge: Food Preservation: Apple Butter

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation. I had so much fun with this challenge. I made it twice. I gave most of it away to friends and neighbors too!
It's a little time consuming but DELICIOUS!!! I also came up with my own recipe which I was very pleased with. I do want to warn you that this is my own recipe which I am here trying to remember and write down, so forgive me if it is hard to follow and please feel free to email me or leave a comment if you have any questions. Here it is:
9 golden delicious apples
3/4 C apple Juice (and splash lemon juice because I didn't have apple cider)
1 C White sugar
3/4 C Dark corn syrup
1 C Brown sugar
3 Cinnamon sticks
1 TBS cloves
I peeled and cored the apples. Then I chopped them roughly. I placed all the apples, apple juice, lemon juice and the spices in a large pot and let them cook on low till the apples are tender stirring frequently. This took awhile (approximately 2 hours) because I was not only letting the apples cook but also letting all the water evaporate. If you want to strain the liquid out like most recipes calls for, feel free. When all the apples are tender and mashed up to a paste consistency, pick the cinnamon sticks and cloves out and add the sugars and syrup to sweeten and taste. Let it cook to a spread consistency (very thick). Can or freeze. I will not include canning instructions but it is easy to find those online. Good Luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment