Sunday, December 26, 2010

Banana Foster French Toast

I had Christmas this year with my two little cousins and my daughter. I promised them a good breakfast for Christmas morning before we open our presents. I searched for french toast recipes and I found this Paula Deans Recipe. I did some changes cause her recipes usually are a little too sweet for my taste and also to downsize the amount because I didn't want 8 servings. I loved that she used croissants and I was very excited to try that and they turned out delicious. It was very easy and quick as well. I will definitely make it again.

Yield:8 servings

Times:Prep5 min ,Cook 10 min
Total 15 min

Ingredients

* 4 large eggs (I only used 3)
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 8 tablespoons butter, divided
* 8 large croissants, halved (I used 6 )
* 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
* 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used 1/4 Cup)
* 1 cup maple syrup
* 1 cup chopped pecans
* 6 ripe bananas, halved crosswise and lengthwise (I used 4)
* 1 teaspoon rum extract


In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, cream, and cinnamon. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Dip 4 croissant halves in egg mixture to coat both sides. Using a fork, remove croissants from egg mixture, letting excess mixture drip off. Place croissant halves in hot skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining butter and croissant halves. Set aside and keep warm.

In a large skillet, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, maple syrup and pecans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add banana halves and rum extract. Coat with the syrup mixture, and simmer 1 minute. Spoon over French toast. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment