Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gyoza (Pot Stickers)


Gyozas are a type of dumplings. Dumplings started in China but they are very popular throughout Asia with each country's own variations. The filling is often made from ground meat, shrimp and/or vegetables of choice. Leeks, cabbage, and garlic chives are popular vegetables in making Gyoza. I used to make a million of these when I was in college in my apartment's tiny kitchen. I used to take them to work and they were always a big hit at pot lucks. They are easy to make but can be time consuming, even if you use premade gyoza wraps like I do. I have never made wraps from scratch and don't plan to make them soon. I make these for my family to snack while we watch the super bowl today. These freeze well so I usually make bunch and freeze the left overs. The following is what I used.

5 cups shredded nappa cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped green onions
1 TBS minced ginger
1 TBS minced garlic
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 lb ground turkey
5 or 6 jumbo shrimps, minced
1 TBS oyster sauce
2 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 egg whit
1 package of Gyoza wraps
salt and pepper to taste

Vegetables of your choice.

Chopped your vegetables.

Heat up your oil with garlic and ginger. When the ginger and garlic starts to sizzle and produce nice aroma, add your ground meat.


jumbo Shrimps.

Peeled and minced shrimp.

Add vegetables and seasoning sauces. When everything is cooked, drain out all the liquid so your filling is not wet.

Fill each one, fold in half, and seal the edges using egg whites as your glue.

Done filling. Pan fry or freeze. (Can steam or boil too)

No comments:

Post a Comment